The RehabCenter at Summerlin Hospital Medical Center uses an interdisciplinary team approach. This approach emphasizes continuous interaction among the team members, including weekly team meetings and patient/family conferences with the team as needed during each patient's stay.
Patients receive a maximum of three hours of therapy, six or seven days per week. Prior to discharge, therapists work with family members to teach them how to best care for the patient at home.
Disciplines involved in the process include rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech and language pathologists, respiratory therapists, dietitians and other professionals.
Our teams of specially trained therapists develop individualized treatment plans to help each patient achieve their rehabilitation goals. As patients continue their recovery, treatment plans are updated and modified to help ensure that patients achieve their maximum level of functional independence.
Specialized Rehabilitation Programs
Summerlin Hospital offers specialized programs for:
- Brain injury
- Neurological conditions
- Serious orthopedic conditions
- Major trauma
- Medical deconditioning and other disabling conditions
Each patient receives an individualized plan of care that focuses on specific needs and goals, so their participation is vital to the patient's success and can help achieve recovery goals. Patients are encouraged to:
- Get out of bed as much as possible and attend therapy sessions.
- Sit in a chair for meals. The more the patient is out of bed, the more strength they will regain.
- Get dressed and participate in rehab. The goal is for patients to do the same activities they will do at home after discharge, including dressing, bathing, cooking and shopping.
- Participate fully in therapy. It's important to be ready for each activity based on a daily schedule.
- Communicate with the rehabilitation team, especially about the recovery goals and level of pain.
- Stay active on weekends to continue to build strength, endurance and stamina.
The Summerlin Hospital rehab units feature therapy gyms with advanced equipment to help patients regain their strength, mobility and function.
What to Pack
In preparing for the stay, patients will need a week's supply of clothing, including:
- Loose fitting shirts or blouses
- Loose fitting pants or shorts
- Sturdy, non-skid, low-heeled shoes or sneakers
- Nightgown or pajamas
- Personal items such as eyeglasses, hearing aids, cosmetics and toiletries
Please leave valuables such as cash and jewelry at home.
The Admission Process
To be eligible for admission to the acute Rehabilitation Unit patients must meet the following criteria:
- Be medically stable
- Require regular, supervised care by a rehabilitation physician (physiatrist)
- Require 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care
- Need at least two types of therapy (Physical, occupational or speech therapies)
- Be able to participate in a minimum of three hours of therapy, five days a week
- Have the potential to improve their functional skill, including the ability to return or move to a supportive living environment
- Be motivated to participate in the program